Wednesday, July 23, 2008

the thoughts you think become unthunk

Things that have happened:

The Chinese speech contest was cancelled! Apparently because of the Olympics, you now need to apply for a special permit for any gathering of over 100 people. Hmm. That's...mildly unnerving, Beijing. I do not approve.

In better news, though: yesterday some friends and I stumbled across a /wonderful/ little Western pizza-bar-type restaurant about ten minutes' walk from the dorms. /Amazingly/ good and cheap to boot -- I got half a Hawaiian pizza and side of fries for 20元 (about $3), which is pretty decent for Beijing. The decor's really nice, too: it's a brick place where you're encouraged to write all over the walls, so the entire building is covered in awesome Chinese graffiti. I will bring my camera next time. You will appreciate it.

As far as actual study goes...well, I've been starting to feel a leet-le bit burned out over the past couple days. I think it was a turning point when I actually had to go buy a new notebook because I'd used up the first one practicing vocab. Beh. Luckily, though, today I hit a bit of a second wind, and now I'm feeling a bit better. Hopefully it'll be enough to carry me through these last 2+ weeks :P

Actually, today I felt sort of revitalized about life in general? I thought a lot about maybe taking a year off -- spending some time in the real world figuring out what it is I want to do with this whole Yale education business. It might be good to gather my thoughts once I finish my sophomore year. I spent the afternoon researching about a hundred different things: spending a full semester in China on the Light Fellowship, apartments and jobs in various cities, how much it would actually cost to support myself out in the wild. I mean, it's just a vague idea right now (don't freak out, parents), but I like it a lot. Something to mull over the course of this year.

Finally, check out what I bought over the weekend:


an extra life! useful in china.


Yes, I /am/ just that cool.

3 comments:

Diana Rastegayeva said...

Hello dearest. Funny you should mention the year off because I've been mulling over similar things these last few months. We'll see how next year goes, but it's a thought that I can't seem to banish from my mind quite yet. Hope all is well (I'm going to get Jonathan to forward me the email you sent him today and, hopefully, get more fully caught up on your life) and I hope to see you in a few weeks? Yes?

All my love,
Diana

Anonymous said...

hey bro. ( i couldnt remember my login stuff so i just went under anonymous) omg it seems like you've been gone forever, but i guess we can say you're coming home soon because even though 2 weeks is how long i spent in italy last summer, compared to how long you've already been there, it doesn't seem too long. i was recently informed that we (dad, sarah, jake and i) will be going to the futures game at fenway park on august 9th, the day before you get back which kinda sucks cuz it would've been super amazing if you came with us. can't wait til you get home.

love ya,
SAMUEL

Unknown said...

how 'bout a year off somewhere closer than China?!?!?! We miss you WAY too much :(

You're a smart man with a bright future, and I'll proudly stand behind any decision you make on what you feel is best for your life. You can count on my .02 though too. Lots to think about and talk about in the coming months.

Best of luck getting through the next 2 weeks. I'm sure you'll feel bittersweet about coming home and seeing this summer n China experience coming to a close. We all miss you SO MUCH and are counting the days.

Stay safe and hurry home.

XOXOX
Mom