Saturday, July 5, 2008

happy belated birthday, america! happy opposite-of-belated birthday, sam!

I cracked.

A bunch of us figured that since yesterday was July 4th, it was the appropriate day to finally break our three-week streak of eating authentic Chinese food and get something a little more...American. Us being college students, the logical choice was pizza.


I love internationally recognizable logos. And blurry pictures.

Pizza Hut in China is actually a middle-to-high-brow kind of restaurant -- a nice, sit-down place with semi-fancy menus and well-dressed staff. The meal was /very/ expensive for China, which is to say it was roughly equivalent to American prices. Three pizzas and two bottles of 7-Up came out to around 350元, which is how much we get for food per week.

On the other hand: IT WAS SO WORTH IT OH MY GOD.


Pizza. Is. So. GOOD.

After we'd stuffed ourselves with pizza (seriously, China shrinks your appetite -- three 12-inch pizzas was more than enough for seven people), we headed to a karaoke bar a few blocks down, where we rented a room for three hours and belted various Chinese pop standards and American Billboard hits and about eight different songs by S.H.E. It was a total blast, though by the end of the night both my throat and my ears were shot. (Let's just say certain atonal people were reluctant to give up the mic :P) I think the highlight of the night was an emotionally overwrought rendition of 'Apologize' with everyone crooning their hearts out at the chorus.

Other things that have happened but I do not have photographic evidence for (I'm still not in the habit of carrying around my camera):
- Going to the Great Wall again was pretty cool last weekend, particular since the spot we went to was relatively tourist-free. A big group of us set out to climb the wall at about 3:00 in the morning, using flashlights, so we could watch the sunrise from one of the higher guard towers. We got there in time, but it was way too foggy to see anything. Oh well. Still completely awesome.
- I had dinner with my high school Chinese teacher! Every other year my high school does a trip to China during the summer, so it was only natural to meet up. She seems to be doing very well, as does Devon (who I didn't realize was also in Beijing this summer).
- I've almost finished a semester of Chinese! Whadafuh. Next Friday is our 'final' for first semester, which also marks the halfway point of the program, which will mean that I've already been in China for a full month. Crazy.
- I'm maybe going to my language partner's house for lunch tomorrow! That would be cool. She's supposed to send me an email sometime today confirming.

I leave you with something for my sister Sarah, or just Will Smith fans in general:



(Now I really want to go see it in Chinese.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi Ryan!
I think I may be rubbing off on you as you've become quite the food critic. I laughed out loud when I read that the pizza cost you a weeks worth of food in cost, but that it was worth it.
Cool movie ad. We all went to see Hancock on opening day. Wish you could have been there! Wish we could be where you are.
XOXOX