Saturday, June 21, 2008

now in technicolor

As promised:



artsy architectural shot! (i.e. taken out of my dorm room window)

That is, in fact, the sky's normal color. Today was the first exception -- beautiful weather, solid blue sky though still with a strong gray tinge at the bottom. I got a sunburn as a result. Need to think about that next time.

I'm horrible about taking pictures, so that's all I have for now. Other random discoveries:
- Kurt Schneider's roommate is here? He recognized my Out of the Blue shirt and asked about it. Nice to know OOTB has name recognition overseas :P
- I've had quite a few good conversations with my language partner now, probably the most fun of which was an impassioned discussion about various movies (particularly "Amelie", which we both love). Also: I tried to explain "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" in Chinese? I think I got the main idea across, but hell, that movie's hard to explain in English.
- An HTML note: I've discovered the ACRONYM tag! Basically, from this point on I'll be starting to use Chinese characters in these posts, but if you hover over said characters with your mouse, a box should pop up with pronunciation and an English translation. So...hooray!
- Not using English was hella hard for the first 24 hours of the language pledge, but has become second nature surprisingly quickly. I thought little reflexive outbursts (e.g. "Sorry!") would be hard to overcome, but I've already replaced expressions with their Chinese counterparts (e.g. 对不起). I can do this.
- The 饺子 stand down the street from here is my new favorite place. Three 饺子 cost one yuan, which is to say that each dumpling costs about a nickel, and they're absolutely /delicious/. (I've never really liked dumplings before, but these things are just too good to pass up.) It's become my default stop when I don't have time for a sit-down meal: I can assemble a tasty, filling lunch or dinner for under an American dollar. Sweet deal, that.

Anyway, that's about all for now. Some people are planning to go out later tonight; I'm pretty tired from wandering around 王府井 all afternoon, so a friend and I are planning to stay in and watch "The Fox and the Hound" instead. I hear all the cool kids are doing it.


P.S. I only just realized I'm getting comments! Forgive me if I don't reply individually -- things are a bit hectic, and I'm sure I'll have a chance to talk to you all once I get back. Love you, though :)

1 comment:

Dad said...

Mmm. Dumplings. Time for me to stop and make lunch after reading your post. I'll make PB and J and wash it down with milk, dreaming all the while of dumplings for a nickel and Apple Fanta.

You are missed, son 'o mine. Love these posts and look forward to reading more, even if you don't look forward to the requirement of posting them.

Any interesting tidbits on the Olympics or on views of US? You mihgt ask your language partner to comment on the CNN reporter whose comments enflamed all of China a few weeks back.

I'm planning a likely trip to Swan's Island with Sam, Jake and Sarah starting next Sunday. Dan Junkins has a house on this little backwoods island that is a 30 minute ferry ride from Bar Harbor, ME

Love and wishes for safety, health, learning, and joy.
Dad